In between the Blood Ravens and Dystopian Wars, I managed to sneak in a Eldar Farseer. Painting up something different and more detailed saves my sanity when I’m faced with a sea of red armor.
It came to me with a head swap from a High Elf . I just had to rotate the hand palm up and add the rune.
The colors and details were picked by the owner.
I did brighten the rune after this picture was taken to make the OSL a bit more convincing but otherwise it’s an accurate photo.
I started on the Invaders from Dystopian Wars. I have an approved color scheme for one half of the commission. I’ll share some WIP photos soon.
This is the last model for this commission. I actually finished it last week but haven’t had the time to post pictures here.
I had to come up with a background large enough for this guy. I made the flight stand removable for safer shipping and storage.
Just the other night I decided to get a decent group shot of the whole group. Space and lighting made for taking pictures difficult but I got some in.
It doesn’t look like much when they’re all built and painted, but the piles of sprues I received in the beginning were a daunting site. I was fortunate to get help from a friend in building the last few vehicles.
I now have Dystopian Wars Invaders on my desk ready to go. Hopefully I’ll have something approved to show in a short time.
I’ve been painting away at these vehicles. I’ve gotten a few done, but haven’t had the moment to post pictures.
I finished up the two Razorbacks last night and the oils on the Land Speeder are still wet. Just the Storm Talon and I’m finished with the Blood Ravens.
I belong to Candy Cane Painting, a wonderful Facebook Group. Just about every month there are competitions. I’ve given up on being in those friendly comps because of my commission workload. I have difficulty painting something for myself or specifically for competitions… it’s just not my thing. In an attempt to still contribute to this group, I’ve offered to send out prizes for these comps and show off the winning model here.
January’s theme was DIY Base. The idea is to make a base for a mini out of household items, not supplied or pre-fabricated bases. All the entries were amazing. We have all sorts of painters from all sorts of skill levels and it’s fun to watch everyone push their limits in painting and modelling.
The winner of this competition was Steve from The Wicked Paint Brush Studio. I’m sure I’ll post more about this guy in the future as a “Featured Artist” post as custom bases are his forte and he’s pretty good with the brush.
Okay, here’s the winning mini for January. This base was made solely from common items that most houses would have laying around…. I’m certainly impressed.
There’s no competition for February. March will be the next update on this group.
I managed to get the Drop Pod finished today. Snow days off of the day job usually results in progress at home. I repeated the Raven pattern on each side but there was no real call for nifty artwork. The tanks will have …. something….
I also got one Dreadnought assembled and magnetized. I’m not sure if I’m going for the second one tonight. I think I’ve had enough of being at my desk today.
One at a time now. The Predator is finished. It’s a bit more simplified in freehand design but fits overall. The army is really coming together. Seven more vehicles.
I have a decent sized Dystopian Wars commission coming in soon. Invaders this time. They’re going to look really neat and they’re going to be headed to GenCon for a tournament.
I finished up two Rhinos over the last two nights. Most of the time was waiting for paint to dry. Instead of flooding my own site with tons of pics of each side, I put together a collage of pics. The only difference between the two Rhinos are the designs on the top doors. The rest of them are identical.
I kept them simple but different. I made a stencil for the insignia so that it matches what I’ve been painting on the shoulder pads of the troops.
Oil paints were used over acrylics and I dusted up the tracks and bottom parts with pigments mixed with Isopropyl Alcohol followed by a few coats of matte sealer to keep the those pigments where I put them.
The rest of the vehicles will have the same style to them although I’m not entirely sure what I’ll do for the rest yet.
These are the last of the little guys. It’s all vehicles from here on in. Also, as I type this, the Blood Raven commission is the only one at hand so I’m fairly certain there will be some work in progress updates on how the rest of the army is going.
I’ve been holding off on posting pics for the Dystopian Wars stuff until it’s all done. I had the Russian Coalition before. This commission was more of the Russian Coalition ships, an Airfield Set painted as the Republique of France, and a Sky Fortress from the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
So….. I leave you with a ton of pictures.
Tiski Support Cruisers
Group photo of the cruisers, Ice Breaker, Flier tokens, Moskva Dreadnought, and Nikel Heavy Frigates
Zamaic Sky Fortress
I seem to have not taken any individual pictures of the Moskva Dreadnought, which is unfortunate as it’s a really cool ship. I get so caught up in getting projects done that photos sometimes suffer.
This group of ships are at their new home already and are ready for battle.